May 1, 2009

Phillipe's

Philippe The Original Restaurant
1001 N Alameda Street Los Angeles, CA 90012 (213) 628-3781


A while back (as in summer 08), I had the honor of experiencing a classic piece of Los Angeles. Forget Subway and Quizno's. Forget about Arby's French Dip (although I have to admit this is pretty tasty and affordable). This is the original -- the real deal. Maybe I'm being too dramatic but I've always been the nostalgic type. History? My favorite subject. Chinatown? I love the old run-down parts. Museums? Absolute must for me ... which reminds me: the first weekend of each month holds free admission to museums for all Bank of America customers. Lucky me, lucky me~! Back to the review. =) Well, imagine my bliss when my foodie-partner-in-crime reminded me that I still had yet to try Philippe, a classic sandwich joint in the heart of Los Angeles. I read this little tell-all in the newspaper once and it was in my heart since. And uh, what was there not to like about such a description? Any eatery with a history, that has lasted a century, deserves my absolute applause and admiration as well as my money. The place was built in 1908 for goodness sakes. Business come and go, but this one seems to be like a permanent establishment of the city. So here we were, my boyfriend telling me I had to try it. And try I had to since we were in the neighborhood. Doing what? Going to the California Science Center (free admission all the time) and watching IMAX movies about mummies and prehistoric dinosaurs. In the airconditioned comfort of a cool, dark theater. Yes, summer vacation is always grand .. despite the possibility of melting in the sun.


So we arrive at Philippe's and I recognize the area immediately. It's basically across from the main station of the Amtrak. Two blocks down is a Subway, whose business seems incomparable to the crowd that's packed into Philippe's. I am told that its always this busy and of course I'm impressed. We walked in and the only two things I remember of my 'first impressions' were: (1) big and simple space, almost like a cafeteria (2) it smelled and felt good. What do I mean by "felt good" anyway? There was something about being surrounded by fellow Los Angeles people and stepping into history. I was giddy but I kept my cool as I looked at the menu, the sides behind the cold-frosted glass, and the customers who were already shoving French dipped sandwiches down their throats. I'm pretty sure I was drooling. I felt like a newbie as I stepped up to the high counter and hesitantly asked how to order. Fortunately, the girl was friendly and gave me a description of what was popular, how to order, and how we would have to wait a bit until they called our numbers. I ordered the French Roast Beef Dip (single dip), a side order of potato salad (recommended by the bf), and ... lemonade for 70 cents?! As always, how could I resist such a deal? It was like Old Fashioned old fashioned! It's been awhile since I saw a drink for a legitimate-under-$1 (not like those 99cent "deals"). I was sold and I was shaking with anticipation. Yes, I get pretty excited about food, especially if I had been anticipating the visit for a long time!

After waiting just a little bit (it wasn't too long but specific numbers have fled my mind), we received our plate of food. It was lack luster but it didn't deter me from my excitement. The less fancy, the better. At least, this is my motto when it comes to food. (I am so hungry writing this right now.) And let me tell you, it was better. The 'jus' that the dip sandwich was in .. it was spectacular. It was savory of course, and had an intense taste that complimented yet flavored the sandwich itself. I usually don't like soggy foods (hence, the single dip) but I had to make an exception here. Maybe, just maybe, I'll go for a double dip next time. The size of the sandwich was underwhelming, but I was satisfied. Possibly the heat of a summer day and my constant summer food frenzy kept my hunger at bay. Now that I think about it, it was a pretty good sized serving. It was a proper proportion; I think we're all too used to supersized meals at fast food restraunts. America = make that supersized, for everything. Costco, anyone? After a bite of the sandwich, I went for the potato salad. I don't eat potato salad very often so I don't have much to compare it to, but the cold side tasted pretty good on a hot day. We put some sort of shake-shake on it (cajun, perhaps?). I don't recall the exact taste except 'peppery' (darn my laziness in blogging) but I would order it again, and probably get two servings. Foodie intuition tells me so. Ha. Ha. So after two bites of solid food, I sipped my lemonade. Iced cold lemonade on a summer afternoon -- need I say more? Folks, it was 70cents and worth every penny, nickle, dime, and quarter of it. I think the BF went back for a second glass. Basically, the meal was all around yummy. Reminiscent of picnic food in all its simple glory and satisfyingly satiating, the historical restraunt is not one to be passed on. If you are ever in the neighborhood, don't even hesitate to walk through the doors. Long line? You better wait because it's not going to get any shorter.

Alas, I will not be going home for another week. Blogging about these places really makes me miss Los Angeles. I mean, there are really great places in San Diego that I have yet to review. But, there's just something about good ol' home that tastes and feels better. Ya know? Well, I won't be having Philippe for awhile; it probably won't be until summer vacation again. I bought gift certificates from Restraunt.com for supercheap and I have to try those places first. ...I am so hungry right now!!!

1 comment:

Chris said...

PHILLIPE'S.. mmm mmm good.. those sandwich's were one hell of a sandwhich huh?